Tuesday, June 11, 2013

ABC...Cute Letters Please!

I love, love, love, decorated letters!  I think they are so cute and they can really add some color to a room.  Here's a pic of the letters I made for Miss O's room:

These were fun to make...and easy too!  Scroll down for a tutorial.

We painted the walls a muted gray so that we could accessorize her room with lots of color.  We have stuck with pink, green, and white for the most part and I like the way the room is shaping up.  And check out the flower lamps that I found at IKEA...absolutely perfect!



Tutorial:

If you want to create your own project, these letters are really easy to make.  Plus, they are pretty cheap!

Supplies:

  • Large chipboard letters (you could use wood, but chipboard is generally cheaper.  It is also lighter and is easier to hang with the ribbon).
  • Scrapbook paper
  • Mod podge (pick up the kind that is specifically made for paper - you'll be glad you did!)
  • Sponge brush for applying the mod podge 
  • Embellishments (I kept mine simple, but you might try things like buttons, flowers, ribbon, etc.)
  • Ribbon for hanging your letters
  • Staple Gun


Step 1:  Trace the letters onto scrapbook paper and cut them out.
Step 2.  Brush your mod podge onto the letter directly and set your paper on the chipboard (you'll need to move quickly).  Be careful not to load the chipboard with too much of the liquid adhesive or you'll end up with a soupy piece of paper.
Step 3:  Allow your adhesive to dry (fully!).  You can seal it with another layer of mod podge, but I skipped this step and so far my letters are still looking sharp.
Step 4:  Measure out the ribbon for each letter and start stapling it to the back of the letter.
Step 5:  Hang your letters!  You might have to get creative depending on the weight of the letter.  In my case, I had an issue with the "L."  It wanted to slope and I had to put an extra nail in the wall to hold it up.

See?  Easy peasy!

No comments:

Post a Comment